[task] INSTALL file: root access confusion
killes
2003-11-10 21:03:43 UTC
Project: User experience
Version: <none>
Component: documentation
Category: tasks

The original issue has been fixed.

***@www.drop.org

Previous comments:

June 20, 2003 - 20:11 : Dries

The INSTALL file mentions "root" which makes people think that root
access is a requirement to run Drupal.

June 20, 2003 - 21:07 : ***@blogger.com

Patch for_review/0005.slavica.INSTALL.patch in my sandbox improves the
wording in this section and removes the mention of "root" in the
examples.

--
Slavica

June 20, 2003 - 22:12 : ax

The INSTALL file also mentions "$ mysqladmin -u" and "mysql -u" which
makes people think that shell access is a requirement to install
drupal. it isn't - you can do the same with any database gui like, for
example, phpMyAdmin. we should either generalize the database
instructions (a la "create the db and import database.mysql. see your
mysql|phpMyAdmin|whatever manual for instructions"), or include
instructions for phpMyAdmin.

slavica - where is your patch? can't find it ...

June 20, 2003 - 23:49 : Dries

I agree with Ax.

Now we are about to support other databases like PostgreSQL and
(hopefully) MSSQL, limiting the instructions to MySQL is somewhat moot.

Maybe we can say something along these lines:

If you are using MySQL, you can create the database using 'mysqladmin'
and import the database using 'mysql'. For more information, please
consult the MySQL manual at ... bla bla.

If you are using PostgreSQL, you can ... bla bla

If you don't have shell access you can use ... bla bla

June 21, 2003 - 05:01 : ***@blogger.com

I agree. I was just addressing the specific problem in the bug report
-- root access is not required.

There are many places in the documentation which need this kind of
improvement.

--
Slavica
Edit: http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/2032
[ http://lists.drupal.org/options/drupal-user/gcpdu-drupal-user%40gmane.org ]
Anonymous
2003-11-24 21:20:08 UTC
Project: User experience
Version: <none>
Component: documentation
Category: tasks

Automatically closed due to inactivity (marked fixed for 14 days).

Anonymous

November 10, 2003 - 22:03 : ***@www.drop.org