[task] Show node matches before comment matches in search results
kennysto
2003-11-29 15:51:09 UTC
Project: User experience
Version: <none>
Component: usability
Category: tasks

Another voice in support of nodes b4 comments

kennysto

Previous comments:

July 9, 2003 - 23:24 : joe lombardo

Up for discussion, but it seems to me that whenever I do a search on
drupal.org or drop.org, I scroll past the matching comments to see if
there are any node matches first. If I don't find what I'm looking for
in a node, I then look in the comments results.

Here's the order I suggest showing the results groupings:

1. Users - if the query has any matching user's in the results set, it
is likely that the searcher was looking for that user.

2. Nodes - Nodes contain the essence of the site. My belief is that
a book page, or blog entry that matches the query is likely to be more
useful to the researcher than a comment that matches the query.

3. Comments - While there are exceptions, most comments are not
information rich, so I think they should be displayed last.

My $.02,
- Joe

July 10, 2003 - 01:49 : cczona

+1 Helpful

My personal preference is for Nodes to also be before Users, but
anything that moves Comments beneath Nodes would be a useability
improvement. By their sheer number , Comment matches seem to dominate
search results yet even when one of the found comments does contain the
info you seek it's much harder to recognize that one because comment
titles are less often used as a capsule description/summary of their
content. So comments not only are less likely to be sources of quality
information, a highly relevant match (of any type) it also more likely
to be overlooked when it is amidst or beneath so many poor matches.

On a related note: the UI could also make it clearer how results are
being ordered (type, relevance) and make it easier to jump right to the
most relevant matches among long result lists. For instance, right now
it says: "Search Results\nMatching comments ranked in order of
relevance:" How about something more like this instead:

Search Results In: Users [1], Nodes [2], Comments [3]
etc.

[1] http://drupal.org/#users
[2] http://drupal.org/#nodes
[3] http://drupal.org/#comments

[...]