Running a bilingual Drupal site
Eric Scouten
2003-12-11 04:40:26 UTC
I am setting up a Drupal-based website for a non-profit group that has
expressed interest in having the site be bilingual (English & Spanish),
and I must confess I don't know much about how/if Drupal supports this.

A few questions:

(1) Are there translations of the Drupal's built-in interface elements
to Spanish?

(2) Assuming we have translated versions of the articles on our site (at
least some of them), how do we establish a relationship between the
English and Spanish versions of the same article?

(3) How can we allow individual users to express a language preference?

I do this purely as a volunteer effort, so I don't have scads of time to
spend on it, but if needed I can code up some things. Suggestions on how
to accomplish anything that's not already built into Drupal would be
appreciated.

-Eric

P.S. For the curious, the site is http://www.mn-leon.org. (It's not yet
running on Drupal, but will be probably in January.)
--
[ Drupal user list | http://list.drupal.org/ ]
[ http://lists.drupal.org/options/drupal-user/gcpdu-drupal-user%40gmane.org ]
Chris Johnson
2003-12-11 05:40:27 UTC
Post by Eric Scouten
I am setting up a Drupal-based website for a non-profit group that has
expressed interest in having the site be bilingual (English & Spanish),
and I must confess I don't know much about how/if Drupal supports this.
Yes, Drupal has quite a bit of multilanguage support.[1]
Post by Eric Scouten
(1) Are there translations of the Drupal's built-in interface elements
to Spanish?
Yes, there are at least 2 that I know of, Spain and Argentina versions.
Post by Eric Scouten
(2) Assuming we have translated versions of the articles on our site (at
least some of them), how do we establish a relationship between the
English and Spanish versions of the same article?
(3) How can we allow individual users to express a language preference?
I'm not familiar with how these two things are done but believe they are
possible.

..chris

[1] http://drupal.org/node/view/290
Gerhard Killesreiter
2003-12-11 11:43:41 UTC
Post by Eric Scouten
I am setting up a Drupal-based website for a non-profit group that
has expressed interest in having the site be bilingual (English &
Spanish), and I must confess I don't know much about how/if Drupal
supports this.
James Walker has recently built a bilingual (English & French) site
(Unfortunately I keep forgetting the URL).

I had suggested to him to use two Drupal sites which share a number of
tables. He has promised to share his experience and will soon post a
summary.

Cheers,
Gerhard